Dodge Journeys Years to Avoid – The Dodge Journey is a popular crossover SUV that has been on the market for over a decade. Since its release, the Journey has undergone several changes and updates, making it a reliable and versatile vehicle for families and adventurers alike.
Not all years of the Dodge Journey are created equal, and some have proven to be more problematic than others.
In this article, we will take an in-depth look at the Dodge Journey and identify the years to avoid when purchasing a used vehicle.
History of the Dodge Journey
The Dodge Journey was first introduced in 2009 as a mid-size crossover SUV, designed to replace the Dodge Magnum wagon.
The first generation of the Journey was in production until 2020, and during this time, there were several changes and updates made to the vehicle.
The initial models of the Dodge Journey were known for their impressive storage capacity, spacious interior, and affordable price tag.
As time went on, the model faced several issues and became less popular among car buyers.
One of the biggest changes made to the Dodge Journey was the redesign of the exterior in 2011, which included a new front grille, bumper, and headlights.
The second generation of the Journey was introduced in 2020 and featured a more modern design, improved fuel efficiency, and updated technology features.
List of Dodge Journeys Years to Avoid
While the Dodge Journey has many positive attributes, there are several years that buyers should avoid due to significant problems and issues. The years to avoid include:
2009-2012 Dodge Journeys
The first four years of the Dodge Journey’s production have proven to be the most problematic. Many drivers have reported significant transmission problems, including the transmission slipping, not shifting properly, and complete transmission failure.
These models have had issues with the engine, suspension, and brakes.
2014-2015 Dodge Journeys
While the Dodge Journey saw some improvements in the years following the initial release, the 2014 and 2015 models have been known to have several issues.
These models have had problems with the engine, transmission, and electrical system, which have resulted in costly repairs for many drivers.
2016-2018 Dodge Journeys
The 2016-2018 models of the Dodge Journey have had problems with the engine, fuel system, and electrical system.
In particular, many drivers have reported issues with the ignition switch, which can cause the engine to shut off unexpectedly while driving.
While the above models have had significant issues, there are several years of the Dodge Journey that have proven to be reliable and worth considering when purchasing a used vehicle.
Best Years for Dodge Journeys
The best years of the Dodge Journey include:
2013 Dodge Journeys
The 2013 model of the Dodge Journey saw significant improvements to the engine and transmission, resulting in a more reliable and efficient vehicle. The 2013 model has improved safety features, making it a safer option for families.
2019-2020 Dodge Journeys
The most recent models of the Dodge Journey have seen significant improvements in technology, fuel efficiency, and overall performance.
These models are among the most reliable and are an excellent option for anyone in the market for a crossover SUV.
- Dodge Cummins Years to Avoid
- Dodge Dakota Years to Avoid
- Dodge Durango Years to Avoid
- Dodge Charger Years to Avoid
- Dodge RAM 1500 Years to Avoid
Common Problems With the Dodge Journey
While the above section identified specific years of the Dodge Journey to avoid, it’s important to note that several common problems exist across all models.
Some of the most common problems with the Dodge Journey include:
- Electrical issues: Many drivers have reported problems with the electrical system, including issues with the power windows, locks, and interior lights.
- Suspension issues: The Dodge Journey has had several issues with the suspension, including problems with the shocks and struts. These issues can result in a bumpy ride
- Brake problems: Several drivers have reported issues with the brakes, including problems with the brake pads and rotors. These issues can result in reduced braking performance, which can be dangerous.
- Engine problems: While specific years of the Dodge Journey have had more engine issues than others, all models have had some problems with the engine. These issues can include oil leaks, engine misfires, and problems with the timing belt.
It’s important to note that regular maintenance can help prevent these common problems from occurring.
Ensuring that the vehicle receives regular oil changes, tune-ups, and brake inspections can help identify and address potential issues before they become major problems.
Tips for Buying A Used Dodge Journey
If you’re considering purchasing a used Dodge Journey, there are several factors to consider to ensure that you’re getting a reliable and safe vehicle.
Here are some tips for buying a used Dodge Journey:
1. Research the specific model and year: Before purchasing a used Dodge Journey, do your research to identify the specific model and year that you’re interested in.
Check online forums and reviews to see if there are any common issues associated with that particular model and year.
2. Inspect the vehicle: Before making a purchase, it’s important to inspect the vehicle thoroughly. Look for signs of wear and tear, such as scratches, dents, and rust.
Check the tires for wear and ensure that the brakes are in good condition.
3. Check the vehicle’s history: Obtain a vehicle history report to ensure that the vehicle has not been involved in any major accidents or has a salvage title.
This can help you avoid purchasing a vehicle with hidden damage.
4. Test drive the vehicle: Before making a purchase, be sure to test drive the vehicle to ensure that it handles well and doesn’t have any noticeable issues.
5. Negotiate the price: Don’t be afraid to negotiate the price of the vehicle. Use the research that you’ve done on the specific model and year to ensure that you’re getting a fair price.
Frequently Asked Questions About Dodge Journeys
Here are answers to some common questions about Dodge Journeys:
Is the Dodge Journey a reliable car?
The Dodge Journey has had a mixed reputation for reliability over the years. Some model years have had more reported issues than others.
Regular maintenance can help prevent many of the common problems associated with the vehicle.
What is the common problem with the Dodge Journey?
Some of the most common problems with the Dodge Journey include issues with the transmission, electrical system, brakes, and engine. The specific problems can vary depending on the model year.
Do Dodge Journeys have transmission issues?
Yes, some model years of the Dodge Journey have had reported issues with the transmission. These issues can include problems with shifting, stalling, and slipping gears.
Why did Dodge discontinue the Journey?
Dodge discontinued the Journey after the 2020 model year in order to focus on producing more profitable vehicles, such as trucks and SUVs.
Is a Dodge Journey expensive to fix?
The cost of repairs for a Dodge Journey can vary depending on the specific issue and the model year of the vehicle. In general, the cost of repairs for a Dodge Journey is comparable to other crossover SUVs in its class.
Are Dodge Journeys good in snow?
Dodge Journeys can be equipped with all-wheel drive, which can help improve their performance in snow and other slippery conditions. As with any vehicle, it’s important to drive with caution in adverse weather conditions.
Is the Dodge Journey the same as the Durango?
No, the Dodge Journey and Durango are two separate models. While they are both SUVs produced by Dodge, the Durango is a larger and more expensive vehicle than the Journey.
The Dodge Journey is a popular crossover SUV that has been on the market for over a decade. While the vehicle has many positive attributes, not all years of the Dodge Journey are created equal, and some have proven to be more problematic than others.
When purchasing a used Dodge Journey, it’s important to do your research, identify the years to avoid, and inspect the vehicle thoroughly.
By following these tips, you can ensure that you’re getting a reliable and safe vehicle that will provide you with years of use.
- Most Expensive Dodge Cars in the World
- Is A Dodge Charger A Good First Car?
- Is A Dodge Challenger A Good First Car?
- Why Are Dodge Caravans So Cheap?
- Why Are Dodge Chargers So Cheap?
- Why Are Dodge Darts So Cheaps?