Kia Stinger Years to Avoid – When it comes to purchasing a car, knowledge is power. Understanding the strengths and weaknesses of specific model years can save you from potential headaches down the road. While the Kia Stinger has generally been well-received, it’s worth noting that certain years may have had specific issues that potential buyers should be aware of.
While this mid-sized sports sedan has gained popularity for its sleek design and impressive performance, it’s essential to be aware of any potential issues that might arise.
Delve into the Kia Stinger years to avoid, helping you navigate through the different model years and make a well-informed choice.
Kia Stinger Years to Avoid
Examine various model years of the Kia Stinger and highlight any notable factors to consider. Remember, the goal is not to discourage you from considering the Kia Stinger altogether but rather to equip you with the necessary knowledge to make an informed decision.
Whether you’re a car enthusiast or simply looking for a stylish and powerful sports sedan, understanding the nuances of the Kia Stinger’s different model years will empower you to choose the right one for your needs.
So, let’s delve into the Kia Stinger years to avoid and guide you toward a satisfying ownership experience.
2018 Kia Stinger
The 2018 Kia Stinger was the first model year for this sports sedan. While it generated excitement upon its release, there have been reports of some issues related to early production models.
These issues primarily revolve around electrical system malfunctions, including problems with the infotainment system and other interior electronics.
Some owners have also reported issues with engine and transmission performance.
Kia addressed many of these concerns through software updates and recalls, so it’s advisable to ensure that any used 2018 Stinger you consider has received proper maintenance and updates.
Read Also: Kia Cadenza Years to Avoid
2019 Kia Stinger
The 2019 Kia Stinger shares similarities with the 2018 model year in terms of reported issues. Some owners have mentioned continued concerns with the infotainment system and electrical malfunctions.
Additionally, a few reports have surfaced regarding potential engine misfires and transmission-related problems.
As with the 2018 model, it is important to verify that any used 2019 Stinger has been properly maintained and updated by the previous owner.
It’s worth noting that not all Kia Stingers from these model years will encounter problems, and there are many satisfied owners who have had positive experiences with their 2018 and 2019 Stingers.
However, the reported issues make it prudent to exercise caution and conduct thorough inspections and maintenance checks when considering a used Kia Stinger from these years.
It’s important to highlight that subsequent years, such as 2020 and beyond, have generally received positive feedback and reviews. Kia has been diligent in addressing early issues and improving Stinger’s reliability and performance with subsequent model years.
Read Also: Kia Soul Years to Avoid
Kia Stinger Problems
The Kia Stinger has captured the hearts of many car enthusiasts with its sleek design and impressive performance. However, like any vehicle, it is not without its share of potential issues.
1. Unpleasant, Strong Odors
One complaint that some Kia Stinger owners have encountered is the presence of unpleasant or strong odors inside the cabin. These odors can range from a gasoline smell to a burning scent.
If you’re wondering, “Why do I smell gas?” or “What is that burning smell?” in your Kia Stinger, it’s essential to investigate the underlying causes.
Gasoline smell can be caused by fuel leaks, faulty fuel lines, or issues with the fuel injectors.
It’s crucial to have these components inspected by a qualified technician to ensure safety and prevent further damage.
A burning smell could indicate problems with the electrical system, such as overheating wiring or malfunctioning components. Electrical issues are discussed further in the next section.
Read Also: Kia Sorento Years to Avoid
2. Electrical System Problems
Some Kia Stinger owners have reported various electrical system problems. These issues can manifest as malfunctioning infotainment systems, intermittent power window failures, or even complete electrical failures.
If you experience any electrical problems, it is recommended to have the vehicle inspected by a certified Kia technician.
They can diagnose the specific issue and perform any necessary repairs or replacements.
3. There’s a Rattling Sound
A rattling sound in your Kia Stinger can be bothersome and indicate underlying issues. This noise may come from loose parts or components in the interior or exterior of the vehicle.
Common culprits include loose trims, exhaust system components, or suspension parts.
A certified technician can properly diagnose the source of the noise and take appropriate measures to secure or replace any loose or worn-out components.
Read Also: Kia Rio Years to Avoid
4. Issues With the Brakes
Some Kia Stinger owners have reported concerns related to the braking system. These problems can range from squeaking or squealing noises when applying the brakes to a soft or spongy brake pedal feel.
Brake problems should never be ignored, as they directly impact the safety of the vehicle and its occupants.
Regular brake maintenance, including pad and rotor inspections, can help prevent major issues and ensure optimal brake performance.
5. Poor Fuel Efficiency
While the Kia Stinger offers impressive performance, some owners have expressed disappointment with its fuel efficiency.
Factors that can contribute to poor fuel efficiency include aggressive driving habits, suboptimal tire pressure, or issues with the engine’s fuel delivery system.
To improve fuel efficiency, adopt fuel-conscious driving techniques such as gradual acceleration and maintaining steady speeds.
Additionally, ensure that your tires are properly inflated and have regular maintenance performed on the fuel system to address any potential issues.
Read Also: Kia Forte Years to Avoid
Pros and Cons of Kia Stingers
The Kia Stinger is a popular mid-sized sports sedan that has garnered attention for its powerful performance, attractive design, and competitive pricing.
Like any vehicle, it has its share of pros and cons. Here are some of the advantages and disadvantages of owning a Kia Stinger.
Pros of Kia Stinger
- Powerful Engine and Speed: One of the standout features of the Kia Stinger is its powerful engine options. Depending on the year and model, it offers a range of horsepower, from 255 hp to 368 hp. This enables the Stinger to deliver impressive acceleration and speed, capable of going from zero to 60 mph in as little as 4.6 seconds. For those who enjoy a thrilling driving experience, the Stinger’s power and speed are major selling points.
- Great Safety and Technology Features: The Kia Stinger comes equipped with a variety of advanced safety features, making it a leader in its class. Standard safety features often include blindspot detection with safe exit assist, auto emergency braking technology, parking distance warning, driver attention warning, lane-keeping and lane-following assist, rearview camera, rain-sensing windshield wipers, and pedestrian and cyclist detection. These features contribute to the Stinger’s impressive safety ratings and provide peace of mind for drivers and passengers. Additionally, the Stinger offers modern technology features such as touchscreen infotainment systems with smartphone connectivity, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, navigation, and other conveniences.
- Sleek and Versatile Style: The Kia Stinger is praised for its sleek and stylish design, often being compared to luxury brands like BMW and Audi. It features a long hood and a sleek roofline, giving it a luxurious and sporty appearance. The interior is designed with both style and functionality in mind, providing ample legroom and space for a comfortable driving experience. The Stinger’s versatile style makes it suitable for various occasions, whether it’s commuting to work, attending sporting events, going on road trips, or enjoying a night out.
- Excellent Value for Money: The Kia Stinger offers exceptional value for its price. It provides many features, performance capabilities, and aesthetic appeal typically found in more expensive luxury vehicles. The Stinger’s competitive pricing and well-equipped base models make it an attractive option, allowing buyers to enjoy the benefits of a high-quality sedan without breaking the bank.
Read Also: Kia Sportage Years to Avoid
Cons of Kia Stinger
- Unpleasant Odors: Some Kia Stinger owners have reported experiencing unpleasant odors inside the cabin. These odors can range from a gas smell to burning odors. Identifying and resolving the cause of these odors may require professional inspection and maintenance.
- Rattling Noises: A common complaint among Kia Stinger owners is the presence of rattling noises. These noises may come from loose trims, exhaust system components, or suspension parts. Regular maintenance and addressing loose or worn-out components can help alleviate this issue.
- Brake Issues: Some Stinger owners have reported problems with the braking system, including squeaking or squealing noises when applying the brakes and a soft or spongy brake pedal feel. Brake-related concerns should be promptly inspected and addressed by a qualified technician to ensure optimal safety and performance.
- Potential Wiring Harness Issues: There have been reports of potential wiring harness issues in Kia Stingers, which can lead to short circuits or electrical malfunctions. If you experience any electrical problems, it is recommended to have the vehicle inspected and repaired by a certified technician.
- Poor Fuel Efficiency: While the Stinger offers powerful performance, some owners have expressed disappointment with its fuel efficiency. Factors such as driving habits, tire pressure, and fuel system issues can contribute to reduced fuel efficiency. Adopting fuel-conscious driving techniques and ensuring regular maintenance can help improve fuel economy.
How long will a Kia stinger last?
The Kia Stinger is expected to last for a considerable mileage, with some owners reporting the vehicle lasting up to 200,000 miles or more. However, it’s important to note that the longevity of any car depends on various factors, including maintenance, driving habits, and overall care.
Is the Kia stinger going to be discontinued?
Regarding the discontinuation of the Kia Stinger, it has been announced that production of the Stinger four-door hatchback will end after the 2023 model year. Kia plans to release a Tribute Edition as a final version of the Stinger to commemorate its six-year run.
The Tribute Edition will feature unique paint options and a revised interior.
While the Stinger will no longer be in production, it will still be available as a used car option in the market, and existing Stinger owners can continue to enjoy their vehicles for years to come.
It’s important for prospective buyers of the Kia Stinger to be aware of the potential issues associated with certain model years. The 2018 and 2019 Kia Stinger have been mentioned in connection with reported problems, particularly related to electrical system malfunctions and performance concerns.
When considering a used Kia Stinger, it’s advisable to conduct thorough inspections, review maintenance history, and ensure any necessary updates and recalls have been addressed.
The Kia Stinger can offer an exhilarating driving experience, a sleek design, and excellent value for money. By staying informed and making informed purchasing decisions, potential buyers can find a Kia Stinger that provides both satisfaction and peace of mind.
So, while being cautious of the 2018 and 2019 Kia Stinger model years, it’s important to remember that diligent research and evaluation are key when considering any used vehicle.