Nissan Armada Years to Avoid – When it comes to buying a used car, it’s important to do your research to avoid any costly surprises down the road. This is especially true for the Nissan Armada, a full-size SUV that has had its fair share of issues over the years.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll go over the worst Nissan Armada years, common issues to look out for, and tips for buying a used Armada.
The Nissan Armada’s Reputation
Before we dive into the specific years to avoid, let’s take a look at Armada’s reputation in the automotive industry.
The Armada has received mixed reviews from both critics and consumers.
It’s praised for its spacious interior, powerful V8 engine, and towing capacity. It’s criticized for its poor fuel economy, outdated technology, and subpar handling.
Despite these mixed reviews, the Armada has received some accolades over the years. In 2017, it was named the Best Large SUV for Families by U.S. News & World Report.
It also received the 2020 Consumer Guide Automotive Best Buy Award for its class.
The Worst Nissan Armada Years
Now, let’s get into the specific years to avoid. According to consumer complaints and expert analysis, the following Nissan Armada model years have had the most issues:
2004-2006 Nissan Armada
The first-generation Nissan Armada, produced from 2004 to 2015, had a number of issues that plagued the earlier model years.
In particular, 2004, 2005, and 2006 Armadas had transmission problems that caused the vehicle to suddenly lose power or stall out while driving. These issues were often expensive to fix and could occur with very low mileage on the vehicle.
In addition to transmission problems, these early Armadas were also known for having issues with their brakes, suspension, and electrical systems.
These issues could be difficult and costly to fix, and they often occurred repeatedly over the life of the vehicle.
2008 Nissan Armada
The 2008 Nissan Armada had a number of issues related to its drivetrain and transmission. Many owners reported that the vehicle would shake or vibrate violently when accelerating, particularly at higher speeds. This was often accompanied by a loud noise or grinding sound.
Other issues reported by 2008 Armada owners included problems with the vehicle’s air conditioning system, electrical system, and suspension.
These issues could be costly to fix and could occur repeatedly over the life of the vehicle.
2017 Nissan Armada
The 2017 Nissan Armada was the first year of the second generation of the Armada, and it had some issues that were not present in earlier models.
One of the biggest issues reported by owners was a problem with the vehicle’s automatic emergency braking system.
Many owners reported that the system would activate unexpectedly, causing the vehicle to suddenly slow down or come to a complete stop.
Other issues reported by 2017 Armada owners included problems with the vehicle’s infotainment system, transmission, and suspension. These issues could be expensive to fix and could occur repeatedly over the life of the vehicle.
- Nissan Altima Years to Avoid [Detailed List]
- Nissan Versa Years to Avoid [Detailed List]
- Nissan X Trail Years to Avoid [Detailed List]
- Nissan Most Expensive Car in the World
Common Nissan Armada Issues
In addition to the specific issues related to certain model years, the Nissan Armada has had a number of common problems reported across multiple years. These issues include:
1. Brake problems: Many Armada owners have reported issues with the vehicle’s brakes, including brake pads that wear out quickly, rotors that warp easily, and brake fluid leaks.
2. Suspension problems: Owners have reported issues with the Armada’s suspension system, including worn-out shocks, struts, and springs that lead to a rough ride and poor handling.
3. Electrical problems: The Armada’s electrical system has been known to have a number of issues, including problems with the vehicle’s dashboard display, power windows, and audio system.
4. Transmission problems: As mentioned earlier, the Armada has had a number of issues with its transmission over the years, including slipping gears, stalling, and shaking or vibrating when accelerating.
5. Fuel economy: The Armada is known for being a gas-guzzler, with an average fuel economy of around 14-16 miles per gallon.
It’s important to keep these common issues in mind when considering buying a used Armada, as they could potentially lead to costly repairs down the line.
Buying A Nissan Armada
If you’re in the market for a used Nissan Armada, there are a number of factors to consider when choosing a model year. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
1. Avoid the years listed above: Based on the issues reported by owners and experts, it’s generally recommended to avoid the 2004-2006, 2008, and 2017 Nissan Armada model years.
2. Look for newer models: If you’re set on an Armada, it’s best to look for a newer model year with fewer reported issues. The second generation Armada (2017-present) has generally received better reviews than the first generation.
3. Consider a certified pre-owned vehicle: If you’re concerned about potential issues with a used Armada, you may want to consider purchasing a certified pre-owned vehicle.
These vehicles have been inspected and come with a warranty, giving you more peace of mind.
4. Have the vehicle inspected: Before purchasing a used Armada, it’s important to have it inspected by a trusted mechanic.
This will help you identify any potential issues with the vehicle and give you a better idea of how much you’ll need to spend on repairs.
5. Check for recalls: Make sure to check for any recalls on the specific Armada you’re considering. Recalls can range from minor issues to major safety concerns, so it’s important to address them before purchasing the vehicle.
It’s important to do your research and consider all factors before purchasing a used Nissan Armada.
While the vehicle has had its fair share of issues over the years, it can still be a reliable and powerful SUV with proper maintenance and care.
Is Nissan Armada a reliable car?
The Nissan Armada has had mixed reliability ratings over the years. While some model years have had more reported issues than others, the Armada has had problems with its transmission, drivetrain, electrical system, and more.
With proper maintenance and care, the Armada can still be a reliable car.
Is Nissan Armada a reliable SUV?
The Nissan Armada is classified as a large SUV, and its reliability has been somewhat mixed over the years. Some model years have had more reported issues than others, particularly related to transmission and drivetrain problems.
With proper maintenance and care, the Armada can still be a reliable SUV.
What Toyota is comparable to an Armada?
The Toyota Sequoia is often considered a comparable SUV to the Nissan Armada, as they are both large, full-size SUVs with three rows of seating and a V8 engine.
What’s bigger Tahoe or Armada?
In terms of size, the Chevrolet Tahoe and the Nissan Armada are similar. The Armada has a slightly longer wheelbase and overall length, while the Tahoe has a slightly wider body.
Is an Armada as big as a Suburban?
No, the Chevrolet Suburban is larger than the Nissan Armada. The Suburban has a longer wheelbase and overall length and offers more cargo space and seating capacity than the Armada.
How bad is Armada on gas?
The Nissan Armada is known for being a gas-guzzler, with an average fuel economy of around 14-16 miles per gallon. This is common among large SUVs with V8 engines, and the Armada’s fuel economy is similar to other vehicles in its class.
In conclusion, the Nissan Armada has had a number of issues over the years that potential buyers should be aware of. The 2004-2006, 2008, and 2017 model years have had the most reported issues, particularly related to transmission and drivetrain problems.
In addition, the Armada has had a number of common issues reported across multiple years, including brake and suspension problems, electrical issues, and poor fuel economy.
If you’re considering buying a used Armada, it’s important to do your research and consider all factors before making a purchase.
Look for newer models with fewer reported issues, consider a certified pre-owned vehicle, and have the vehicle inspected by a trusted mechanic.
With proper care and maintenance, the Nissan Armada can still be a powerful and reliable SUV for years to come.
- Nissan Rogue Years to Avoid (Most Common Problems)
- Nissan Pathfinder Years to Avoid (Most Common Problems)
- Nissan Juke Years to Avoid (Most Common Problems)
- Nissan Titan Years to Avoid (Most Common Problems)
- Nissan Frontier Years to Avoid (Most Common Problems)