RAM Ecodiesel Years to Avoid – RAM Trucks are known for their reliability, toughness, and durability. The RAM 1500 Ecodiesel engine, which was introduced in 2014, was a significant milestone in the pickup truck market.
The engine was advertised as an eco-friendly engine that was supposed to provide high fuel efficiency without compromising power or towing capability.
While the Ecodiesel engine has its fair share of benefits, it has been plagued by several problems since its inception.
These issues have led to some RAM Ecodiesel years to avoid. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll take a closer look at the RAM Ecodiesel engine, the common problems associated with it, and the RAM Ecodiesel years to avoid.
What is the RAM Ecodiesel?
The RAM Ecodiesel engine is a 3.0-liter V6 turbocharged diesel engine that was developed by Fiat Chrysler Automobiles. The engine was first introduced in 2014 and is still in use today.
The Ecodiesel engine was developed to provide better fuel efficiency than the standard V8 engine while still delivering power and towing capacity.
Benefits and Drawbacks of the Ecodiesel Engine
One of the biggest benefits of the RAM Ecodiesel engine is its fuel efficiency. The engine can deliver up to 29 miles per gallon on the highway, which is significantly better than the standard V8 engine’s fuel economy.
The Ecodiesel engine delivers a lot of torque, making it ideal for towing.
However, the Ecodiesel engine has its fair share of drawbacks. One of the most significant drawbacks is the high cost of maintenance.
Diesel engines require specialized care and attention, which can be expensive. The Ecodiesel engine is more complex than the standard V8 engine, which means that it can be more challenging to repair.
Common Problems With RAM Ecodiesel Engines
The RAM Ecodiesel engine has been plagued by several issues since its inception. These issues include:
1. EGR Cooler Failure – The EGR cooler is responsible for cooling the exhaust gas before it is recirculated into the engine. If the EGR cooler fails, it can cause a coolant leak and lead to engine damage.
2. Fuel Pump Failure – The Ecodiesel engine uses a high-pressure fuel pump to deliver fuel to the engine. If the fuel pump fails, it can cause the engine to stall or not start.
3. Water Pump Failure – The Ecodiesel engine’s water pump is prone to failure, which can cause engine overheating and damage.
4. DEF Injector Failure – The DEF injector is responsible for injecting diesel exhaust fluid into the engine. If the DEF injector fails, it can cause engine damage.
RAM Ecodiesel Years to Avoid
While the RAM Ecodiesel engine has its fair share of issues, some years are more problematic than others. The RAM Ecodiesel years to avoid are:
2014 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel
This was the first year that the Ecodiesel engine was introduced, and it had several issues. The most common problem was with the EGR cooler, which could cause a coolant leak and engine damage.
2015 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel
The 2015 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel had similar issues to the 2014 model, including problems with the EGR cooler and fuel pump.
2016 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel
The 2016 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel had problems with the water pump and DEF injector, in addition to the issues from the previous years.
2017 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel
The 2017 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel had problems with the fuel system, including the fuel pump and fuel injectors.
2018 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel
The 2018 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel had issues with the EGR cooler and the DEF injector, as well as problems with the fuel pump.
2019 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel
The 2019 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel had problems with the fuel system, including the fuel injectors and fuel pump.
It’s important to note that while these years are considered problematic, not all vehicles in these model years will have issues.
If you’re considering purchasing a RAM Ecodiesel from one of these model years, it’s essential to be aware of the potential issues and have the vehicle thoroughly inspected before making a purchase.
How to Avoid RAM Ecodiesel Problems
While RAM Ecodiesel engines are prone to issues, there are steps that you can take to prevent problems from occurring. Here are some tips to keep your RAM Ecodiesel engine running smoothly:
1. Follow the recommended maintenance schedule – Following the recommended maintenance schedule is crucial for any vehicle, but it’s especially important for diesel engines. Regular maintenance can help prevent problems before they occur.
2. Use high-quality diesel fuel – Using high-quality diesel fuel can help prevent fuel system problems. Avoiding low-quality diesel fuel can help prevent fuel system problems, such as clogged fuel filters.
3. Be mindful of your driving habits – Diesel engines require a different driving style than gasoline engines. Be mindful of your driving habits and avoid short trips, which can lead to carbon buildup.
4. Use high-quality oil – Using high-quality oil can help prevent engine problems. Be sure to use the recommended oil viscosity and change the oil at the recommended intervals.
5. Have the vehicle inspected by a mechanic before purchasing – If you’re considering purchasing a RAM Ecodiesel, have the vehicle inspected by a mechanic who is familiar with diesel engines.
They can help identify potential issues before you make a purchase.
Is the Ram 3.0 EcoDiesel reliable?
The Ram 3.0 EcoDiesel has had its fair share of reliability issues, particularly with the EGR cooler, fuel pump, and DEF injector. Not all vehicles in this engine lineup experience these issues, and following the recommended maintenance schedule can help prevent problems from occurring.
What year is the most reliable Ram truck?
It’s difficult to pinpoint one year as the most reliable Ram truck as reliability can vary between models and even individual vehicles. According to various sources, the 2019 Ram 1500 has received high marks for reliability and customer satisfaction.
How long do EcoDiesel engines last?
The lifespan of an EcoDiesel engine can vary depending on factors such as maintenance, driving habits, and workload. With proper maintenance and care, an EcoDiesel engine can last up to 300,000 miles or more.
Is the Ram EcoDiesel a good engine?
The Ram EcoDiesel engine offers excellent fuel efficiency and strong towing capacity, making it a popular choice for truck buyers. However, the engine has had some reliability issues, particularly with the fuel system and EGR cooler.
Does EcoDiesel use regular diesel fuel?
The EcoDiesel engine requires ultra-low sulfur diesel (ULSD) fuel, which is a type of diesel fuel that has low sulfur content. It’s essential to use the recommended fuel type to prevent potential engine problems.
The RAM Ecodiesel engine was developed to provide better fuel efficiency without compromising power or towing capacity. While the Ecodiesel engine has its fair share of benefits, it has also been plagued by several problems since its inception.
The most common problems with the Ecodiesel engine include EGR cooler failure, fuel pump failure, water pump failure, and DEF injector failure.
If you’re considering purchasing a RAM Ecodiesel, it’s important to be aware of the potential issues and have the vehicle thoroughly inspected before making a purchase.
Following the recommended maintenance schedule, using high-quality diesel fuel and oil, and being mindful of your driving habits can help prevent problems from occurring.
By being informed and taking proactive measures, you can help ensure that your RAM Ecodiesel runs smoothly and reliably.